Immediate H-2B Action Needed! #saveH2B
The 116th Congress will be sworn in this afternoon. We need your immediate help to urge your Representative and Senators to demand that DOL resume H-2B filing and that Congress takes swift action to fix the H-2B cap.
As you are well aware, the iCERT online filing system crashed right after midnight on January 1st, preventing H-2B filing for the second half of the fiscal year. According to DOL, “the U.S. Department of Labor iCERT system had an unprecedented demand for H-2B certifications with more than 97,800 workers requested in pending applications for 33,000 visas.”
We continue to work with DOL and Congress to urge swift action and get additional information about when filing will resume. We will pass along information as it becomes available and also encourage you to monitor the iCERT website.
Further, Congress and the President are continuing negotiations to re-open the government. While there currently does not appear to be a clear path forward, it is essential that immediate cap relief be included in any agreement. Cap relief will only happen if your elected officials hear from you.
- 1. Please call your Representative and two Senators and ask them to: 1) urge DOL to immediately fix the iCERT system and resume H-2B processing; and 2) pass immediate H-2B cap relief to ensure that you have access to needed seasonal labor this spring and summer. You can reach your elected officials through the Capitol Switchboard at 202-225-3121. Once connected to your Representative or Senator’s office ask to speak to the person who handles H-2B issues. Please make these calls today!
- 2. Please click on the link below to send a letter to your Representative and two Senators urging immediate cap relief and an immediate resumption of H-2B filing. Please also share this link with your colleagues and encourage them to respond.
- Send letters to your Representative and Senators
- 3. Tweet at your Senators and Representative using #SaveH2B. You can find their twitter addresses at: https://twitter.com/verified/lists/us-congress/members. Some sample tweets are below.
- H-2B filing system crashed due to overwhelming need. Pass H-2B cap relief now. #saveH2Band save American jobs.
- H-2B Cap Hit! Pass cap relief now! #saveH2B
- Save American jobs. Pass H-2B cap relief now! #saveH2B
- The H-2B program relies on workers who come to the U.S. for seasonal work, then go home. #saveH2B
- Every H-2B worker creates and sustains 4.64 American jobs. Pass H-2B cap relief now! #saveH2B
- #saveH2B and save American Jobs! Pass H-2B cap relief now!
- H-2B program = more American jobs. Pass H-2B cap relief now. #saveH2B
- H-2B workers support American jobs. Pass H-2B cap relief now! #saveH2B
- · Save the spring and summer. Pass H-2B cap relief now! #saveH2
- Thanks for your continued outreach to Congress.
- Your H-2B Workforce Coalition Co-Chairs,
- Laurie Flanagan, representing AmericanHort and the National Association of Landscape Professionals
- Gregg Hartley, representing the Outdoor Amusement Business Association
- Brian Crawford, American Hotel and Lodging Association